The obstetrics department at Labette Health is a five-bed patient care unit that delivers care to obstetric and gynecologic patients along with infants and noninfectious female medical and surgical patients.
Labette Health supports all breastfeeding women and offers a lactation suite for employees, family and visitors to utilize for either breastfeeding or breast milk expression. Its central and quiet location across from the OB department meets the needs of the entire facility.
The Labette Health nursery is capable of providing care to 12 newborn infants at a time. Services offered include:
- Predischarge hearing screen.
- Critical coronary heart disease (CCHD) screening.
- Newborn screening for PKU and other metabolic disorders.
- High Five for Mom and Baby initiatives, including rooming in with your baby and skin to skin directly after birth.
- Newborn pictures provided to parents free of charge.
- Newborn pictures posted on Labette Health website and billboard downtown (with consent).
The OB floor has two birthing rooms and a C-section room. Some of the services provided by the OB department include:
- Prepared child birth classes.
- International board-certified lactation consultant.
- Prenatal tours.
- Neonatal back transfers.
- Lactation support.
- Antepartum testing services.
When you are admitted to Labette Health, you need to decide on a goal for your pain control. Your nurse can assist you with this process and you together can effectively manage your pain. Each person's response to pain is different; that is why we ask you to discuss this with your attending physician before arrival.
Options for pain management
Your nurse, under the physician's order, will help you with managing your pain. Medication is not the only method for relief of pain. Other methods include:
- Changing positions.
- Warm blankets to lower back areas.
- Relaxation techniques (such as deep breathing).
- Listening to music.
- Focal points.
- Pain relievers.
- Perineal injections.
- General anesthesia (C-sections only).