At Labette Health's Beachner Family Birthing Center, we believe that you should experience childbirth in a way that meets your individual wants and needs. Our family-centered environment is well-known for its commitment to exceptional care of mothers and their newborns.
In our new birthing center, moms experience labor, delivery and recovery all in the comfort of spacious, private rooms, each featuring sleeping accommodations for a spouse or partner.
Birthing Center Suites
Our birthing center suites are equipped with the latest technology needed to accommodate you and your baby and, should the need arise; a cesarean birth suite is available within our birthing center.
Our private birthing and postpartum suites include:
- Comfortable overnight accommodations for your support person
- Free Wi-Fi service throughout the hospital
- Lactation and breastfeeding support-by board-certified specialists
- Locked and secured unit
- Quiet time for uninterrupted rest and bonding with your baby
We offer prenatal, inpatient, and outpatient lactation support to assist your breastfeeding education and experience. Our certified lactation specialists provide one-on-one instruction and support to breastfeeding mothers to help assure a successful breastfeeding journey.
In addition to our obstetricians, we offer a midwifery program designed to create a more holistic, natural birth experience for women who want minimal interventions during the labor and birth process.
Our certified nurse-midwife (CNM), specially trained in all aspect of obstetrics and gynecology, will serve as your advocate in creating the birthing experience you want – part coach, part teacher, but always a healthcare professional whose goal is to help you safely delivery a healthy baby. When your special time comes, your CNM will provide personalized care during active labor, birth, and the immediate postpartum period—collaborating with our exceptional nurses to encourage skin-to-skin contact, ongoing family bonding, and breastfeeding.
Our midwife will work hand-in-hand with our traditional OB/GYNs and can expand your care team immediately should the need arise.
The Labette Health nursery is capable of providing care to 12 newborn infants at a time. Services offered include:
- Predischarge hearing screen.
- Critical coronary heart disease (CCHD) screening.
- Newborn screening for PKU and other metabolic disorders.
- High Five for Mom and Baby initiatives, including rooming in with your baby and skin to skin directly after birth.
- Newborn pictures provided to parents free of charge.
- Newborn pictures posted on Labette Health website and billboard downtown (with consent).
Options for pain management
Your nurse, under the physician's order, will help you with managing your pain. Medication is not the only method for relief of pain. Other methods include:
- Changing positions.
- Warm blankets to lower back areas.
- Relaxation techniques (such as deep breathing).
- Listening to music.
- Focal points.
- Pain relievers.
- Perineal injections.
- General anesthesia (C-sections only).
Prepared Childbirth Class
Our commitment to expectant mothers starts long before the due date. Programs are available to help you and your baby thrive during the early days of pregnancy, birth, and long after you have returned home. Our Prepared Childbirth Classes are free to those delivering at Labette Health and include thorough explanation of the physical and emotion aspects of pregnancy, labor, delivery and postpartum. The classes also include breastfeeding education and well as a complimentary lunch for mom and partner.
To register for a class, CLICK HERE.
High Five for Mom and Baby Premier
Labette Health is designated as a "High Five for Mom & Baby Premier" hospital.
High 5 Practices:
- Assure immediate and sustained skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby after birth.
- Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breast milk, unless medically indicated.
- Practice "rooming in" - allow mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
- Give no pacifiers or artificial nipples to breastfeeding infants.
- Provide mothers option for breastfeeding support in the community upon discharge.